Back to Finnish Recipes
Barbecue Lodge style- tikka chicken skewers with apricot sauce
- 450g/1lb chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 1cm/½in cubes
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2.5cm/1in piece root ginger, peeled and finely chopped; or
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 90ml/6 tbsp low fat natural yoghurt,
- 1 tbsp each of ground turmeric and garam masala; or
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 411g/14oz can apricot halves in natural juice, drained
- 200ml/7fl oz low fat natural yoghurt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
Place the chicken in a bowl. Mix together the garlic, ginger, yoghurt, curry powder and lemon juice. Pour over the chicken cubes and mix well to coat all over.
Pre light the BBQ in your arctic cabin. Thread the chicken onto eight small skewers and place on the grill rack. Keep any remaining yoghurt mixture in the bowl.
Brush chicken with the yoghurt mixture and grill for 6-7 minutes. Turn the skewers over, brush again and continue to cook for a further 6-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, for the sauce, place the apricots and the yoghurt in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Alternatively mash the apricots finely with a fork and mix in the yoghurt.
For the salad, mix the ingredients in a bowl.
Serve accompanied with the sauce and salad.